CAUTION: Do NOT use GF Clear Poly or any other clear coat, over white or light paints such as GF Milk Paint, or GF White Poly as it may cause yellowing. Any clear coat can become reactive over wood substrates or existing finishes, causing tannin or dye bleed-though regardless of priming. All of GF's white paints are self-sealing and do NOT require a topcoat.
General Finishes Enduro Professional Topcoat Application Steps
- Watch Product Overview Video or Watch a comparison video of our topcoats here.
- Work in a well-ventilated area.
- Stir topcoat thoroughly to reincorporate solids that have settled to the bottom of the can before and throughout the application process. Do not shake.
- Test for adhesion when applying over an existing finish.
- Thin as desired with distilled water; start with 5%, addint up to 10% by volume.
- Increase open time, if needed, with 10-15% General Finishes Extender if allowed by local regulations. GF Extender will improve flow and leveling and increase open time, which is helpful in dry climates. California Residents: Adding more than 2% of GF Extender will make the product
snon-compliant per SCAQMD Regulations. GF assumes no liability for the improper use of these products.
- Ready to spray from the container. Apply a minimum of 3 coats; additional coats may be applied to increase depth & durability.
- Spray application: Before spraying, strain topcoat through a fine-mesh filter. Spray wet films at 3-5-mil thickness. Medium air cap. Compressed air: 0.40, HVLP: 1.1mm-1.3mm or Airless .009-.011. Verify tip sizes with your equipment supplier. See our general guide for spray tip sizes. Keep your gun at a 90° angle, 6-8" from the surface. On large, flat areas, use wet, even patterns 6-8" wide. For narrow surfaces, reduce the fan pattern to 2-3" wide to reduce overspray. Overlap each pass 25% to conceal lines. Wear a mask and work in a ventilated space. Read here for more information on spraying techniques.
Based on the hazard and potential for exposure, select a respirator that meets the appropriate standard or certification.
- Face frames on cabinets: Enduro professional products are engineered to be spray-only but can be successfully applied to cabinet face frames or edges with a pad or small, cabinet-specific roller, such as Whizz Velour brand. Larger areas may not level with a hand application. Alternative: Use the same sheen of General Finishes High Performance Topcoat on areas that must be brushed.
- If a faster build is desired over raw wood, use General Finishes Sanding Sealer for the first coat.
- Finish sand between coats with a fine-grade (220-320) foam sanding pad to improve smoothness and adhesion.
- Remove dust with a vacuum, compressed air, an oil-free tack cloth or a water-dampened rag.
Warning: Do not use water-based products with Linseed Oils or Danish Oils.